Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Mediocrity

I have been trying my hand at Medium and it's demoralizing reading most of the writing there, though it's democratic as hell. Extremes really do seem to meet, I find myself thinking, because the authoritarians and the solipsists end up in the same place, unable to assert humane, sustainable social values, thereby endangering the structures enabling free speech in the first place.

The spiritual solipsists represent a radically Protestant approach, schismatism down to the point that each person becomes their own, irrefutable, one true church. The radical Catholics, by adherence or adoption, are flaming authoritarians and therefore hacks, putting reason at the service of their secular, idolatrous gods (ad Maiorem something Gloriam) by analogy to their religious instincts. 

Sorry, but I don't think we can go on like this. I see dissolution in our future. The challenge we face is ourselves, a challenge from within. We are destroying ourselves needlessly. Incidentally, we are making it impossible for future generations to do anything but try to recover from our mess. I can imagine only one way out if it, charismatic leadership, and I don't see it out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment